This Vegan Zucchini Parmesan recipe is perfectly designed to fit this transitional time of year, where we still have delicious local tomatoes and zucchinis at the farmers markets and grocers, but are headed into the colder months and definitely need some warm-me-up cozy, comfort food!
- 1-2 Sheet pans
- Deep baking dish
- 4-5 Zucchini (about 2-2.5lbs) trimmed and cut into 1/4” rounds
- Salt and Pepper
- 1¼ cup Red pasta sauce (store bought or make one of my favorites: https://nourishedbodyandmind.com/project/fresh-homemade-tomato-sauce/ OR https://nourishedbodyandmind.com/project/roasted-tomato-sauce/)
- 6 oz Vegan ricotta
- ⅔ cup Vegan parmesan
- Handful fresh basil
- Preheat the oven to 400° F.
- Place sliced zucchini rounds on a sheet pan (you will probably need two) and brush lightly with olive oil. Then sprinkle rounds with salt and pepper.
- Bake the zucchini for about 20 minutes until it becomes soft, then remove and allow to cool to the touch.
- Lower the oven temp to 350°F.
- In a deep baking dish (approx. 9X12), arrange these ingredients as follows: 1 layer of sauce (about ¼ cup) followed by a layer of zucchini, then a layer of ricotta, a sprinkle of parmesan and a few basil leaves. Then repeat this layering process twice more or as many times as necessary to use all the zucchini.
- Top with more parmesan and place in the oven for about 20 minutes, or until the zucchini starts to look golden.
- Once the zucchini becomes golden, raise the heat to broil for a few minutes just to get the top a bit more melty.
- Remove from oven and allow to sit for at least 15 minutes.
- Serve with a big crunchy salad and some garlic bread if that’s your style! Enjoy!