For more traditional brunch fare (with a vegan twist!) here is one new favorite recipe! In addition to brimming with flavor, this recipe is endlessly flexible, which is key in these trying times. I have topped my French toast with bananas, blueberries, and strawberries on different days, pears are just a recommendation. Whatever fruit you have available WILL work, and it is all so equally yummy! 😋 To make it a little more special, you can even add a few pansy flowers. Did you know they are edible? 😁
- Mixing bowl
- Two skillets
- 4 slices gluten free bread
- 3/4 cup plant milk
- 1 tbsp ground chia
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 2 tbsp vegan butter
- 1 pear, cored and cubed
- maple (or other) syrup (for drizzle)
- In a bowl, whisk together plant milk, chia seeds, cinnamon, and vanilla.
- Refrigerate the mixture for 5 minutes and then remove from fridge.
- Soak the bread in the milk mixture for about 1 minute on the first side, then flip the bread and soak for about 1 minute on the other side.
- While your milk mixture is in the fridge, cut one pear into cubes and heat a sautépan with 1 tablespoon vegan butter.
- When the buttered pan is heated, add cubed pears and a dash of cinnamon. Stir gently as the fruit begins to brown, then remove from heat.
- Heat another skillet with 1 tablespoon vegan butter and cook each slice of soaked bread until golden on each side, flipping the bread to achieve equal color.
- Remove French toast from pan and plate with pears. Drizzle with maple syrup 🍁 or other sweetener to taste.