- 1.5 Tbs cumin seeds
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 1 small onion
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 2 Tbs chili powder (optional)
- 1.5 cups finely diced mushrooms or for non-vegetarian version -shredded chicken breast
- 1 zucchini (or eggplant) diced
- 1 small sweet potato cut into bite sized squares
- 2 15 oz cans of black beans rinsed
- 1 15 oz can of kidney beans rinsed
- 1 14 oz can of crushed tomatoes
- 2 Tbs maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 bunch of cilantro
- 1 cup Kale
- Diced avocado (optional)
- Toast cumin seeds dry in pot on medium heat for 2 mins, until you smell the aroma
- Add olive oil, onion, garlic, stir until garlic is translucent.
- Add in Chili powder, mushrooms, zucchini and potato and stir well. Saute 4 mins.
- Add in beans, tomatoes, water, maple syrup, sea salt, cilantro. Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- Remove from heat and stir in Kale.
- Serve hot, garnish with avocado and cilantro.
Enjoy! Inspired by Kris Carr