I have wanted to make my own version of Shepards Pie for a while now and this was a perfect time! While there are a lot of steps, it is a relatively easy recipe and keeps really well. It is definitely going to be on my Thanksgiving table this year. I hope you like it as much as my taste tester and I do! ?
- Parchment paper
- Large pan
- Saucepan (if using uncooked lentils)
- Colander or strainer (only if using uncooked lentils)
- Oven safe pie plate or baking dish
- 1 cup carrots chopped
- 1 cup celery chopped
- 1 cup onion chopped
- 1 cup parsnips chopped
- 1 cup button mushrooms chopped
- 1 cup uncooked green or brown lentils OR 3 cups cooked lentils
- 1 can fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 4 medium sweet potatoes (depending on size, could use fewer)
- 2 tbsp nama shoyu OR soy sauce
- 1 tbsp fresh basil OR ½ tbsp dried basil
- 1 cup spinach chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- bay leaf (only if using uncooked lentils)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Wash sweet potatoes and prick skin several times with a fork before wrapping each individually in parchment paper.
- Place wrapped sweet potatoes in oven for 35 minutes. Check tosee that they are soft before removing them from oven to cool.
- While the potatoes are baking, heat a large pan with a drizzle of olive oil over medium heat. Once hot, add to pan chopped carrots, celery, parsnips, onion and mushrooms.
- If using uncooked lentils, while heating veggies, place lentils in a sauce pan covered with water. (Add a bay leaf for extra flavor if desired). Simmer lentils for about 20 minutes, and taste to see that they are soft but not mushy. When softened, drain and set aside. [IF USING ALREADY COOKED LENTILS, SKIP THIS STEP].
- Once heated chopped veggies are soft, add lentils, can of tomatoes, tomato paste, nama shoyu or soy sauce, basil and spinach to pan.
- Simmer mixture for about 10 minutes.
- Spoon lentil/veggie mixture into an oven safe pie plate or baking tray.
- Remove cooked sweet potatoes from oven. Discard parchment paper, remove potato skin and mash the potatoes with a fork. Add the mashed potato to the top of the veggie/lentil mix as pictured, forming the pie.
- Place the pie into the oven at 350°F for about 20 minutes.