Spring means the arrival of gorgeous fresh fruits, and among my favorites are strawberries. I can seriously eat them all day long! I love fresh strawberries on their own, in strawberry spa water, strawberry milk, strawberry chia pudding, salads and the list goes on and on. Strawberries are a true super food, high in vitamin C, antioxidants and fiber, low in calories and bursting with flavor! One of my favorite fruit pairings, however, is strawberries and rhubarb. The slightly savory rhubarb mixed with sweet strawberries is a culinary treat. It doesn’t hurt that rhubarb is high in bio-absorbable calcium (essential for strong bones) as well as fiber, vitamin k (also essential for strong, healthy bones), vitamin c (immune boosting and great for the skin), iron and manganese.
Now that you know how good this pair is for you, why not make a delicious, easy crisp that works well as a dessert or as part of a meal. Not too sweet, you can top this delight with yogurt or coconut creme and make an easy, delicious and nutritious parfait.
- 7-8 stalks of rhubarb
- 1 lb strawberries
- 1 tbs maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons arrowroot
- 2 teaspoons water
- 2 cups granola
- 1/4 cup vegan butter or coconut oil
- Baking dish
- Large mixing bowl
- Parchment paper
- (Preheat oven to 350°F)
- 1. Rinse rhubarb well and cut into 1” lengths.
- 2. Rinse, trim and cut strawberries in half.
- 3. Gently toss rhubarb and strawberries together in a baking dish.
- 4. Mix 2 teaspoons arrowroot with 2 teaspoons cold water and drizzle over top of the fruit, tossing gently again.
- 5. In a large mixing bowl, add 2 cups of your favorite granola, drizzle with 1tbs maple syrup and add 1/4 cup melted vegan butter or 1/4 cup liquified coconut oil. Lightly mix.
- 6. Cover strawberry rhubarb combination in baking dish with granola mixture, then cover with parchment paper and bake for 20 minutes.
- 7. Uncover and bake for another 10-15 minutes watching to see that the granola doesn’t burn and the fruit is bubbling.
- Enjoy warm or at room temp. Store in a sealed glass container in the refrigerator for up to one week (if it lasts that long).
- Serves 6