Something I find really helpful is meal prepping for breakfast. I love to cook once and eat all week! Whether you are running out the door or hitting the ground running at home, having a hearty, delicious breakfast ready to pop into the microwave, heat in the oven, or eat cold from the fridge makes mornings so much easier. And with that in mind, I created these really easy, customizable Spiced Apple Baked Oatmeal Bars. This recipe is so extremely versatile that you can sub in or leave out any spices you like, use pears instead of apples if you prefer, and of course, you could share this with your family on the weekend if that suits your fancy.
- Large mixing bowl
- 9x13 baking pan
- Knife and serving utensil
- 1 apple,cored (1/2 chopped + 1/2 sliced) (for topping)
- 2 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons ground golden flax
- 1 teaspoon (ceylon) cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups plant-based milk
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon reishi or chaga mushrooms (this is a great place to add bonus nutrients)
- nut butter, granola, a drizzle of maple or date syrup, a dollop of yogurt or sliced bananas
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Add all dry ingredients to a large bowl and whisk together until well combined.
- Add wet ingredients (but NOT apples) to the same bowl and mix well.
- After dry and wet ingredients are thoroughly combined, add chopped apple only and mix throughout combined mixture.
- Add mixture to a 9x13 baking dish. Spread apple slices across top of mixture, pressing down slightly to incorporate them into top.
- Bake for 35 minutes.
- When done, remove from oven and leave out on counter to cool down.
- When sufficiently cool, cut into individual serving squares.
- Add optional drizzles and/or toppings as desired.