Sometimes I have this for breakfast, sometimes for lunch, and sometimes for an afternoon snack. You can customize and modify these ideas easily, adding whatever produce you have on hand and readily substituting for things that you are missing. You can make your toast components savory or sweet, or even jazz things up by making some of each. So let’s get into it, I’m excited to share some delicious options with you!
Oh, and before we start, a word about choices…..My favorite brand of bread is Simple Kneads Gluten Free (nourishedbodyandmind15 for 15% off) but you can easily use any bread of your choice! Just make sure that you select a bread that has sufficient texture and depth to really hold up to the fabulous toppings you will be adding. And the items indicated in the ingredient lists below are guidelines. So feel free to adjust your options and amounts as you see fit. Creativity and variety is the key here!
- 2 slices sourdough bread
- 2-3 tbs hummus
- handful of arugula
- “Easy Burst Tomatoes” -see recipe below
- “Garlicky Mushrooms” -see recipe below
- Toast two slices of sourdough bread.
- Spread toast slices with hummus to establish base layer.
- Spread Easy Burst Tomatoes atop hummus layer on each slice.
- Spread Garlicky Mushrooms atop hummus layer in open spaces not filled by tomatoes.
- Place arugula across both toast slices atop other toppings.
Recipe for Quick and Easy Burst Tomato
- 10-15 grape or cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- pinch of salt
- balsamic vinegar
- Heat a frying pan on medium-high heat, then add oil and heat for about 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes to the heated oil, allowing them to sit for a few minutes or until you hear them start to sizzle.
- Once they sizzle, gently give the pan a shake or use a wooden spoon to move the tomatoes around. After about 6-9 minutes they will soften and be ready to use.
- Remove tomatoes from the heat, and add an optional drizzle of balsamic vinegar.
- Serve immediately or allow to cool and store for up to one week in the refrigerator.
Recipe for Garlicky Mushrooms
- 10-12 mushrooms, trimmed and sliced
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- olive oil (for sauté)
- Heat your olive oil in a sauté pan over medium heat for about 2 minutes, then add sliced mushrooms.
- Cook the mushrooms until they start to release water and begin to turn golden brown.
- Once mushrooms begin to turn color, turn them over with a small spatula.
- Add minced garlic to mushrooms and lower the heat. Allow mushrooms and garlic to cook together for a few minutes or until the garlic becomes aromatic.
- Once the garlic and mushrooms are cooked and combined (and smelling fabulous) remove from heat and serve.