Imagine the wafting scent of baking fruit, made even better with seasonal spices. When we heat fruit, the natural sweetness is intensified, making it a particularly good substitute for processed sugar. Now imagine that deliciously warm seasonal goodness combined with a healthy dollop of “Whipped Cream!” Today’s treat includes a recipe for a “Whipped Cream” topping that tastes to me (AND to my test kitchen tasters) just as good as the original version with way less sugar, no fat and very few calories! All while still feeling rich and indulgent. Be prepared – this recipe might surprise you!
- 2 firm pears I used red Bartlett but use any of your choice that are very firm so they hold up during cooking
- 1 tbs vegan butter melted OR coconut oil, liquified
- Cinnamon allspice, cloves, cardamom, ginger
- Baking sheet
- Parchment paper
- Melon baller or spoon
- Basting brush
- Small bowl to mix spices
- Sealed glass container for storage
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- 3. Wash and cut your pears in half, cutting the long way (see photo).
- 4. With a melon baller or spoon, remove the center pit area.
- 5. Brush the pear (lightly)with melted vegan butter.
- 6. Mix your spices in a bowl and sprinkle them on the pears.
- 7. Bake for about 25 minutes or until the pears are starting to brown.
- Remove and serve warm or store in a sealed glass container for up to a week. I have used the stored ones in oatmeal (delicious), yogurt parfaits or as is, warmed up or cold.
Aquafaba Whipped Cream Ingredients
- Liquid only from 1 can of chickpeas
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1. Drain and save the liquid from 1 can of chickpeas (use the chickpeas for something else).
- 2. Pour the liquid into a mixing bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer if you have one.
- 3. Use the mixer and beat until the liquid begins to turn foamy.
- 4. Add cream of tartar and continue mixing for about another 5 minutes until mixture becomes fluffy and stiff peaks form.
- 5. Add vanilla and continue mixing another minute.
- 6. Slowly add powdered sugar while continuing to mix until vanilla and sugar are completely incorporated. Mixture should be nice and fluffy.
- 7. Use immediately or freeze in a sealed container for up to one month— when freezing take out about 10 minutes before using to defrost.