I hope you enjoy this healthy, vegan twist on a classic Reuben Sandwich. It is full of flavor, loaded with plant protein and probiotics and I think it’s kind of pretty, too!
- Sauté pan
- 4 slices bread (I love Simple Kneads Pumpkinickel Bread for this recipe)
- 8 oz tempeh (1 package)
- 2 tbs soy sauce or nama shoyu
- 2 tbs maple syrup
- 2 tbs rice vinegar
- Avocado or other oil
- 3 tbsp Russian Dressing 2 tbs vegan mayo + 1 tbs ketchup
- 2-4 slices slices vegan cheese of choice (I use Violife provolone)
- 1 tsp liquid smoke
- Side dishes of choice
- Bring a pot of water to boil and add the tempeh for 5 minutes, then remove from water, pat dry and allow to cool.
- While tempeh is cooking and cooling, prepare a marinade with soy sauce, maple syrup and rice vinegar, as well as optional liquid smoke, if desired.
- Once the tempeh is cool, add it to the marinade. You can let tempeh marinate overnight, but at least for1 hour (longer means more flavor).
- Heat a sauté pan with a light coating of avocado oil, remove the tempeh from the marinade and cook the marinated tempeh for 3-4 minutes, until it gets slightly golden. Then flip and cook the 2nd side, removing when both sides are golden.
- Lightly butter 1 side of each slice of bread and add 2 slices, buttered sides down, to sauté pan. Add cheese, tempeh, Russian dressing and sauerkraut to bread, then top with 2nd slice of bread (buttered side up). Cook on medium heat for a few minutes and flip.
- Remove from pan, allow to cool slightly, then cut in half.
- Serve with pickles and your favorite sides, as desired.
- I usually make extra tempeh when I am preparing this dish - I typically at least double this part of the recipe for additional easy meal prep. You can use the tempeh in another sandwich, in a salad or crumbled into pasta.