All my clients and friends know that starting in the fall I love to make a pot of soup every weekend for quick, easy, and satisfying warm-me-up light meals and snacks all week. You may have seen me post about my favorite Butternut Squash and Pear Soup. SO many people love this soup… it might be my most frequently requested recipe.
And of course, you knew I had a new soup to share with you…right? ?October also brings with it the best root vegetables of autumn and we love to take advantage of seasonal produce! Today I have a creamy, savory, and beautiful Red Velvet Beet Soup to share with you! You’ll find the recipe below. I hope you enjoy it. ?
- 3 medium red beets, peeled and chopped
- 2 tbsp avocado or other neutral oil
- 3 medium-sized potatoes (I used creamer potatoes, but any white potato will work)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 apple, peeled and chopped
- 2-3 garlic cloves
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- 1 radish
- Plant-based yogurt or sour cream
- Heat oil in a pot over medium heat.
- Add onion and cook for 3-5 minutes, stirring every few minutes,until it turns translucent. Then add garlic.
- Add all the rest of the chopped vegetables, the apple, and spices.
- Cover and simmer for about 20 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Add soup to blender with tomato paste and blend until smooth. You may have to do this in two batches due to the volume of the soup.
- Pour into a bowl, add salt and pepper to taste, topped with optional sliced radish, microgreens and/or a swirl of yogurt or sour cream as desired.