- 1 cup uncooked quinoa (or 3 cups cooked)
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans (or 1.5 cups cooked), drained and rinsed
- 1.5 cups cilantro, finely chopped
- 3 small/medium carrots, julienned (about 1.5 cups)
- 4 green onions, chopped
- fine grain sea salt & black pepper, to taste
For the dressing:
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice (about 1 lime)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large clove garlic, minced (or 1/2 tsp garlic powder)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon pure maple syrup (or other liquid sweetener)
- 1/2 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
- To prepare the quinoa: Rinse quinoa in a fine mesh sieve.
- Add into pot along with 1.5 cups water or veggie broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low-medium, and then cover with a tight-fitting lid.
- Simmer for 15-17 minutes until the water is absorbed and the quinoa is fluffy.
- Remove from heat and steam with the lid on for 5 additional minutes.
- Fluff with fork and chill in the fridge for at least 15 minutes.
- In a large bowl, toss the quinoa, drained and rinsed black beans, cilantro, carrots (or roasted sweet potato), and green onions.
- Whisk together the dressing in a small bowl or jar.
- Pour onto salad and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- I prefer to enjoy this salad chilled, so I usually throw it into the fridge for at least an hour.
This is a great make-ahead salad too – prep it the night before and let it sit in the fridge for up to 24 hours.