My love for sweet potatoes is no secret and this time of year we have an abundance of them. Sometimes you can even find them in purple! While these taste the same as the orange ones, I think the purple is so pretty and different, and it provides unique antioxidants (since each color of the food rainbow features different and equally valuable antioxidants). So if you can find them, give them a try! If not, go for the orange because you do not want to miss out on this heavenly soup!
- Soup pot
- Vessel for soaking cashews (if making cashew cream)
- Standard or immersion blender
- Soup bowls
- Sealed container and/or mason jars for storage
- 1 onion chopped
- 2-3 garlic cloves chopped
- 3 carrots scrubbed and cut into 1” coins
- 3 large sweet potatoes washed and chopped into 2” cubes (I used purple but you can use orange, too)
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp olive oil
Cashew cream ingredients (optional)
- 1 cup cashews
- 2 cups water (1 1/2 cups to soak and 1/2 cup for blending)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt or kosher salt
- 1/2 lemon (Juiced)
Optional soup garnishes:
- Chopped herbs
- Chopped nuts
If you are NOT making cashew cream, skip directly to number 2below:
- If you are making the cashew cream, soak your cashews in 1 1/2cups water at least 2 hours prior (but no more than 12 hours prior) to making soup. [IMPORTANT: please refrigerate soaking cashews after 2 hours].
- Heat oil on medium heat in a soup pot and add onion. Cook onion until translucent, giving it a stir every few minutes so it doesn’t burn.
- Add garlic and carrots and cook for another 3-4 minutes, adding a little more oil or a few tablespoons of broth as needed.
- Add sweet potatoes and the remaining broth. Cover and lower heat to a simmer. Allow the soup to simmer for about 40 minutes. If making optional cashew cream (see instructions below), this is an excellent time to prepare it.
- When you can easily pierce the potatoes with a fork, turn off the heat and allow it to cool slightly.
- Blend cooled soup in a regular blender or directly in the soup pot using an immersion blender. If using a standard blender, you will need to do it in 2-3 batches.
- Once the soup is finished, ladle into bowls, swirl in your cashew cream (optional) and add some fresh herbs or chopped nuts as desired.
- This soup will last for up to a week refrigerated in a sealed container.
- Serves 8
Cashew Cream Instructions:
- Drain and rinse the soaked cashews, then add to a high-speed blender.
- Add 1/2 cup water, salt, and lemon juice to the blender.
- Blend on high until smooth and creamy.
- Decanter into a mason-type jar. This will keep refrigerated for up to a week. (It can be used anywhere you would use sour cream or plain yogurt topping).
Purple sweet potato
Was amazing !!! My
Toddler who is a very picky eater just absolutely loved it !! What a fun , healthy and delicious meal
Thank you Joanne xo
I am so glad Alexis! ?
Loved it! The taste, the colors. Satisfying. Makes for a great dinner by itself, or breakfast!
I’m delighted that you enjoyed it maria! ❤️
So glad you liked it Maria… it is so good for you too!