I’m proud to say that fruit crisps of all varieties have always been the favorite dessert of the Schneider household. We all love them all year round. In the summer I make them with whatever summer berries I can find and in the fall I usually move right to apples. This year, though, I decided to branch out a little (HA! See what I did there?! ??) and I tried it with pears. Guess what? NOW we have a NEW FAVORITE! Perfect for the winter, this versatile crisp works just as well as an elegant dessert after dinner as it does as a relaxed component for a Sunday Brunch. You can also make it ahead and reheat (or not) when serving, which makes it a great dish for holiday meals, and it really delivers on that festive seasonal feeling.
I find the softer varieties work best, such as the D’Anjou (green), Red Anjou (red version), Bartlett, or Forelle.
The whole process takes about 30 minutes to prepare plus 25 minutes to bake.
The wafting scent is enough to make us all hungry! 😉
With or without plant-based ice cream, this is an easy, dreamy, mostly healthy, and guaranteed crowd-pleasing recipe!
- 9 inch baking dish
- 5-6 pears (enough to fill your baking dish), sliced to about ¼”thickness
- ½ cup dark brown sugar
- ½ cup coconut sugar or granulated white sugar
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ginger
- ¾ cup flour (use gluten free 1:1 if preferred)
- ½ cup vegan butter
- 1 cup gluten free rolled oats
- plant-based ice cream
- Preheat over to 350°F.
- Add sliced pears in consistent layers to a 9” piedish.
- Sift dry ingredients (with the exception of the oats),then cut in cold butter (pro tip: easier to manipulate butter when it’s cold).
- Once dry ingredients and butter are combined, add oats and mix well, using your hands to make the crumble topping.
- Sprinkle the topping over the fruit.
- Bake uncovered at 350°F for about 30 minutes. Check after 25 minutes to see if it looks done (some ovens are hotter that others). Your topping should look golden brown.
- When crumble is golden brown, remove crisp from oven and cool at least slightly before serving.
- If desired, add a dollop of plant-based ice cream when serving.