I have been making a version of this Cranberry Orange Sauce for years and it has been a perennial favorite. I am so excited to share it with you! Free from refined sugar, and loaded with flavor and superfoods, this versatile sauce is a good side during Thanksgiving dinner, a fabulous addition to a bowl of oatmeal, delectable on top of toast with cream cheese, almond butter, or vegan ricotta, and also so tasty on my Pumpkin Spice Bread.
- 300 grams fresh cranberries (or approximately 3 cups)
- 1/2 cup fresh squeezed OJ (about 1 1/2 oranges)
- Zest of 1 orange
- 2 tbsp maple syrup (more if you prefer sweeter)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- Wash the berries and discard any soft ones.
- Add the berries, OJ, orange zest, maple syrup, and cinnamon stick to a saucepan and cook on medium heat, covered for about 5-10 minutes or until the berries start to break down.
- Using a spoon, smash some of the berries against the side of the pan. Once the desired consistency is reached, remove from heat and allow to cool. The sauce will thicken as it cools.
For an extra nutritional boost, add 1 tbs chia seeds and ENJOY! This recipe can be made up to 5 days ahead and will last in a refrigerated sealed container for 10 days.