Where I live it’s unequivocally Fall, and with the arrival of shorter days and much cooler temps, comfort food is now regularly on the table at my house. But that’s all good with me because that means Soup Season is on! I’m convinced that there is nothing better than a hot bowl of soup to warm you up from the inside out. 🍜
And this month’s Recipe of the Month is another winner… all my taste testers have loved it. It is extremely easy to make, budget-friendly, high in fiber, low in fat, and so comforting…it is like a hug in a bowl!
- 1 head of cauliflower, cut up into chunks (keep one larger floret aside for topping)
- 1 onion, rough chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 2 tbs nutritional yeast
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tbs vegan butter
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 cauliflower floret, sliced
- cashew crème (see below)
Cashew Crème Ingredients
- 1 cup cashews, soaked for a few hours (or overnight)
- 1 cup water
Soup Recipe Instructions
- Heat oil in a large pot and add the onion and garlic.
- Cook onion and garlic on medium heat, stirring frequently, until the onion is translucent.
- Add cauliflower and broth to the pot and bring to a boil for about 15-20 minutes, until cauliflower is soft.
- *If you are making optional toppings, please work on that as soup is cooking now.
- Returning to the pot of soup, remove the pot from heat and cool slightly. Then pour the mixture into a high-speed blender. Add vegan butter, nutritional yeast, and lemon juice to the mixture and blend until creamy.
Optional Topping Instructions
- Add olive oil to a saute pan (just enough to cover the bottom of the pan) and heat.
- Then add your sliced cauliflower floret and sliced garlic. Allow them to cook until golden, then flip. Once cooked, remove from the pan and set aside.
Cashew Crème Recipe
- Remove or strain cashews from water. Discard the water used for soaking and rinse the cashews.
- Add cashews and fresh water to a high speed blender and blend until creamy (5-6 minutes).
Serve your soup with a drizzle of cashew crème, caramelized cauliflower, crispy garlic, and chopped chives OR any other toppings you choose! Makes approximately 8 servings. Can be stored for 5 days and refrigerated in an airtight container. May be frozen in an airtight container for up to 3 months.