Nothing says fresh flavor to me more than the vibrant flavor of lemon. My Cauliflower Piccata recipe marries the brightness of lemon with a buttery, briny caper sauce alongside crisp fresh parsley, roasted cauliflower and crunchy chickpeas. It has been a family favorite of ours for almost two years now and I am so excited to finally share it with you!
Servings: 4 (see tip below)
- Sheet pan
- Parchment paper
- Large plate or bowl (for serving)
- 1 head cauliflower
- 1 - 15 oz can chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 4 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp vegan butter
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp capers
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Cut cauliflower florets from the stem, then add the florets and 1 can of drained and rinsed chickpeas to a parchment-lined sheet pan. Drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper.
- Place sheet pan in oven and cook for approximately 35 minutes, until cauliflower and chickpeas turn golden and begin to caramelize.
- Meanwhile, in a medium sauce pan, cook garlic in 1 tbs olive oil over medium heat until fragrant (about 1 minute).
- Add vegetable broth and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Add vegan butter, lemon juice, zest and capers and simmer over lower heat for another few minutes.
- Remove cauliflower and chickpeas from the oven and add to large plate or bowl, then cover with sauce.
- Add chopped fresh parsley and serve with rice (to help absorb all that yummy sauce).
- I generally double theamount of sauce I make so that I can use it as a dressing on other cooked and raw vegetables during the week.
- This recipe serves 2 as a full meal with rice, or 4 as a side dish. I often make a full meal for 4 by doubling the entire recipe.