? I grew up in a house full of chocolate lovers and in my home now, we have an entire drawer exclusively devoted to chocolate. It’s all dark and we all love it!
Not only is chocolate delicious, but dark chocolate in particular (and raw cacao from which it comes), is exceptionally good for you – as long as it’s not too sweet. ?
All my taste testers agree that this one is a winner. Make it for yourself, for company, or for anyone you want to treat with love… and please let me know how you enjoy it! I love to hear from you!
- High speed blender
- Spatula (for scraping sides of blender)
- Individual 6-8 oz. glass vessels (to build trifle)
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1/2 block silken tofu
- 1/2 cup raw cacao
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- Juice of 1 orange
- 1 cup plant-based vanilla or plain yogurt (OR plant-based whipped cream if you prefer)
- 10-15 sweet dark cherries (fresh or frozen)
- shaved chocolate for topping
- Blend avocado, tofu, raw cacao, maple syrup, vanilla, and orange juice in a high speed blender until smooth and creamy.(You may have to scrape down the sides once or twice to fully incorporate all the ingredients.) This forms your chocolate mousse.* Pro tip: taste your mousse before removing from blender to ensure that you like the level of sweetness. I prefer mine a little less sweet, but if you like yours a little sweeter, add up to an additional tablespoon of maple syrup to blender and mix until fully incorporated.
- Now create your trifle by first laying down a layer of chocolate mousse at the bottom of your glass, followed by your yogurt (or whipped cream), and repeat with more layers of chocolate mousse and yogurt (or whipped cream) until you are almost at the top of the glass.
- Then add as many cherries as you can to top off your trifle.
- For an extra treat, add a little shaved chocolate atop the cherries.
- Makes 4-6 servings, depending upon how thick you make your trifle layers.
- Can be served immediately, or chilled in the refrigerator and served later.
- You can store the trifle in the fridge, sealed with plastic wrap, OR the mousse by itself in a sealed container for up to 4 days.